f

f

Thursday 6 March 2014

The Gold Bracelet and a Friend For Life


On the eve of his wedding, our son Robin gave me a wonderful gift. Knowing how much I love bangles and wanting to commemorate this very special occasion, he presented me with a royal blue velvet box. Inside was an exquisite gold bracelet.

I've treasured this bracelet ever since.

In getting ready to leave for India, I grabbed a jewellery case I always take with me when we travel. In it are bangles and earrings from Vietnam and Africa, "wash and wear" type jewellery that has sentimental but no monetary value whatsoever. The good stuff stays home.

When I unpacked in Fort Cochin, I was horrified to find my precious gold bracelet tucked into the folds of the jewellery case. How it came to be there will remain a mystery forever but be there it was.Knowing that I would never wear it on this trip, I wrapped it in tissue and packed it back into the case. Next time, I would be more careful.

From Fort Cochin to Munnar to Alleppey and the backwater rice barge, the jewellery case was always in sight and opened every day. When we settled in at the "phantom resort," however, I really unpacked and placed the case on a shelf below the bathroom sink, out of sight.

The days lazily slipped one into the other and our routines were those of two vacationers completely relaxed with virtually nothing to worry about. The jewellery case was never opened and was far from my mind.

Our departure neared and I repacked our bags. We were on our way to Varkala, our next stop, well past the point of no return, when I remembered the jewellery case still sitting safely on the shelf under the bathroom sink. I had just turned to tell Peter what I'd done when our driver Sobit's phone rang.

"Madam," he said, "you have left something behind."

******

Two hours later we arrive at the place we've booked for a few days, just below the cliffs of Varkala. I am out of the car and into the manager's office before the engine is turned off. Quickly, I tell him the story of the missing bracelet and just as quickly he tells me "not to worry...it will all work out" and hands me a glass of lemonade.

There are frantic phone calls to and from Rajesh (of the phantom resort) who agrees to courier the jewellery case and the problem appears solved. Because it's Saturday, however, the courier can't be reached and it will be at least Tuesday before I have the bracelet in hand.

On Sunday, there are more phone calls. Rajesh is worried that because we are leaving Varkala on Wednesday, there is little room for error should the courier be delayed. We decide on the spot to stay for another 4 days.We like it here and it won't hurt anything to give the courier some breathing room.

Monday morning, I am called to the manager's office. Rajesh is on the line and there is a new problem. The courier has refused to take the package because a scan has shown there is "something gold" in it and the drivers are not to be trusted. After much discussion and major hand wringing, I persuade Rajesh to simply package the case up and mail it to Canada. It's certainly not an ideal solution but appears to be the only one. He reluctantly agrees.

Early Tuesday morning, just as we are getting ready for breakfast, I hear Peter laughing. "You'll never guess who's here," he says as he opens the door. And there before us, grinning from ear to ear, is Rajesh, my case in his hand. He has caught a 4:30 AM train from his home for the 3 hour trip to Varkala station and has come the rest of the way by tuktuk.

We are overjoyed to see him again and after thanking him profusely, settle in for a long breakfast together. We sit out on the beach and have a great visit. He will soon be on his way to a new job near Munnar but will return as manager of the phantom resort when it officially opens next fall. We marvel more than once at the coincidental events which have allowed our paths to cross and given us the chance to become friends.

The sun glints off my gold bracelet and I am happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment